|About New Zealand Potters (Inc.)
Registered as an incorporated society in 1965 by an enthusiastic group of potters in Wellington, New Zealand, NZ Potters (Inc.) has grown to become a significant international voice in New Zealand ceramics.
The affiliation of about three dozen independent pottery clubs throughout New Zealand together with a number of corporate businesses greatly increases its effective membership.
We are a national, not-for-profit organisation representing the interests of practising potters and ceramicists, students of ceramics and all those interested in New Zealand ceramics.
We actively support and promote quality, and we encourage and support specialist ceramics education nationally.
Conventions and Exhibitions
Regular activities open to all members include:
- the annual Convention and National Exhibition
The Society is also active in co-ordinating annual workshop tours by New Zealand and overseas potters.
Other activities of NZ Potters include:
- representing the interest of potters in response to activities of NZ authorities ( e.g. ACC levies)
- organised representation on national issues
- regular publication in colour of:
- a magazine called Ceramics Quarterly .
- a monthly e-newsletter distributed mostly via email to all members.
- publication of www.nzpotters.com. This website was launched in August 2002. It is a comprehensive website now exceeding its millionth visitor.
- maintenance of a comprehensive database of potters and pottery groups throughout NZ
- publication of:
- Potters Beware and Gulie's Glaze Making written for members by members.
- Then and Now - a survey of the society 1963 to 2009
- Marks of New Zealand Potters - an illustrated list of over 1500 marks used by New Zealand potters to identify their work. This is an invaluable reference for collectors etc.
- Ceramics Quarterly - a magazine edited by Anthea Grob and available to all members.
- an on-line competition for tertiary students enrolled in a ceramics course.
- a Mentoring Program which aims to bring together established professionals with emerging artists.
NZ Potters (Inc) is the national body for professional and recreational potters throughout the country.
An executive council with delegates representing ten regions conducts the business of NZP.
NZ Potters aims to:
- represent New Zealand potters on a national focus.
- lobby and negotiate on issues affecting potters.
- facilitate communication between potters in New Zealand and overseas.
- promote the image of New Zealand potters.
- ensure the availability of appropriate training and education.
- arrange discussions, lectures, workshops, exhibitions, and other activities to instruct and stimulate potters and the general public.
To promote excellence in ceramics in New Zealand.
NZ Potters operates in three key strategic areas:
- Membership aim: to provide an umbrella organization for potters, pottery clubs and associations in New Zealand
- Promotion aim : to encourage and promote awareness and appreciation of New Zealand ceramics nationally and internationally.
- History aim: to keep historical records of New Zealand Potters, National Exhibitions, National and Regional publications and other nationally significant events
Definition: Potters are all people involved in the production of fired works produced from clay.